Idaho DUI Laws
If you’ve been charged with driving under the influence (DUI) in Idaho, you face severe consequences if convicted, including lengthy jail sentences, steep fines, and even a mark on your criminal record. DUIs are harshly punished in Idaho and connecting with a skilled attorney early is crucial to avoid these penalties.
At Trilogy Law Group, we know what’s at stake for our clients facing DUI charges, and we’re dedicated to helping Idaho residents like you beat their charges. Don’t let the complex Idaho laws or looming punishments overwhelm you. Reach out to our experienced attorneys today for a free consultation on your best steps for moving forward in the fight for your future.
Factors Affecting Idaho DUI Laws
The severity of your DUI charge and penalties are determined by a variety of factors, including:
- Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) – BAC is a measure of how much alcohol is in your system. In Idaho, it’s illegal to drive with a BAC of 0.08 or higher. For drivers operating a commercial vehicle, that threshold drops to 0.04. Punishments also grow in severity if you have an excessive BAC of 0.20 or higher.
- Age – In Idaho, minors have specific guidelines and punishments for DUI charges. For individuals under 21, it’s illegal to drive with a BAC of 0.02 or higher. Underage drivers may face specific Idaho DUI penalties, such as education programs.
- Past Offenses – For individuals receiving their second charge within a ten-year period, penalties become even harsher. Drivers receiving their third DUI within ten years may even be charged with a felony instead of a misdemeanor.
- Injuries or Damages Caused – Impaired drivers who cause car accidents, property damages, or injuries to others will receive additional Idaho DUI penalties on top of standard DUI charges. These enhanced punishments may include large fines or longer jail sentences.
Every DUI case is different, and every case requires a powerful strategy and a skilled defense attorney to beat the charge within the courtroom.
Idaho DUI Penalties
State laws outline strict Idaho DUI penalties. These penalties may include fines, license suspension, jail time, and the installation of an ignition interlock device, which requires a negative Breathalyzer test for a vehicle to start. Standard legal consequences for Idaho DUIs based on the number of offenses may include the following:
- First Offense – This is a misdemeanor violation, with up to six months in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, and a 90 to 180-day license suspension.
- Second Offense – Your second offense is also a misdemeanor violation, with up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $2,000, mandatory one-year license suspension, and mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device.
- Third Offense – Third and further convictions are felony violations. You may face up to five years in jail, a fine of up to $5,000, a license suspension for up to five years, and mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device.
How a Lawyer Can Get Your DUI Charge Dismissed
Skilled defense attorneys like ours employ a variety of strategies best suited to the specific nature of your case. One common approach a defense may take is to attack the charge’s foundation and validity.
If your attorney can prove that the officer who charged you acted improperly, the case may be dismissed. If the officer neglected to conduct a crucial portion of the arrest or improperly executed one of the DUI tests like the field sobriety test, your case may be dismissed because of weak evidence.
Your lawyer may also argue that you were not driving impaired despite your BAC. If the officer pulled you over for a routine, less serious reason, like expired license plates, your lawyer may argue that the officer had no reasonable justification to request a DUI test. Without probable cause, your case may be dismissed.
Even if your lawyer is unable to get your charge dismissed, they may argue for a reduced penalty. For first offenses or instances in which you display good behavior after the charge, the judge may feel compelled to lighten your sentence. Attending rehabilitation may also promote more favorable penalties in light of your positive efforts.
A skilled attorney will advocate for your best outcome in court, helping get your charge reduced or dismissed entirely through strong argumentation and thorough legal analysis.
Talk to an Idaho DUI Lawyer Today
At Trilogy Law Group, our experienced DUI lawyers are here to help you avoid these harsh penalties. We know the intricacies of Idaho laws and have ample experience successfully beating DUI charges for our clients.
If you’re ready to fight your DUI charge with confidence, we’re eager to guide you in your best next steps. Call us at 208-968-9060 or fill in our online form below for a consultation about your DUI case.